12.27.2002

Thinkin' about this whole Trent Lott flap and the issue of race and the GOP:

Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

Lott's Racial Honesty (thanks George!)

Of Race and Imagination (WSJ)

Newt Gingrich on Affirmative Action

I've said before that there is probably much to attract black folks to the conservative cause, yet the nasty legacy of those Dixiecrats, Dems who jumped sides in the 60's over the civil rights issues and the party's historical opposition to several issues that are very important to us seemed to put the kibosh on blacks voting for Republicans in significant numbers. However, if you have been paying attention, there seems to have been a shift in the party leadership's thinking. Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich have spoken about the need to attract more black votes. I find this really interesting in light of the Lott Gaffe. Five or ten years ago no one in the party would've come out against Lott. If anything, the matter would've been quickly relegated to the back pages of the papers.
After (I thought) rather empty and cynical display made at the GOP covention in 2000, I still have my doubts. But wouldn't it be interesting if these moves actually amounted to something? Even the stiffest brother couldn't help but bring a little flavor to the party...(Clarence Thomas notwithstanding). Could this lead to a widening of our political discourse in this country? Which to me - is something sorely lacking in the months following 9/11.

Or maybe I just shouldn't drink before I post...heh. (Thanks George!)

No comments: