1.12.2003

Chris (one of the guys I work with) and I were diggin' the Bee Gee's "Jive Talkin'" last Thursday and discussing the merits of the auto-wah. And then I see this. I wasn't a huge Bee Gees fan, although I knew a few of their songs beyond the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack. I remember way back in the day watching the movie "Melody" and really loving "I Gotta Get a Message to You"...which is funny because I don't think the song appears on the soundtrack...but I could swear that's where I first heard it! The other thing that I remember about the Bee Gees is the controversy that playing the SNF soundtrack on the only soul station in town (KYAC) caused. Mind you, they played Bowie's "Fame" and probably the Average White Band too, but I guess some folks took the "apporiation of our music" thing too seriously. Anyway, a damn fine musician (bass player!) has died. RIP Maurice...

No comments: