4.28.2003

A Brush With Death.

OK. So this is what happened. We were getting ready to load up the leftover booze, kegs and mixer from the ART BOMB party, which we'd stowed in the basement of the Capitol Hill Arts Center. Tim asked for someone to help guide his van down the ramp so we could load it up. I wasn't ready to pick up anything heavy yet and was busy with a bag of sour cream 'n' onion potato chips (craving salt) so I quickly volunteered.
Tim was backing the van down the ramp and was about ten feet from the bottom. I was standing behind the van, maybe three feet from the wall. Everything was going fine when suddenly the van started coming back toward me. I thought, "What's he doing?" then "Shit! I'm gonna take a hit!" and got my hands up right as the van hit me. I went flying back into the wall and I could feel the bumper hitting my legs. I thought for sure they'd get broken but my upper body cushioned most of the blow and my left leg got a nasty pinching between the bumper and the wall. Tim had slammed the van in park just in time and that was the only thing that kept me out of the hopital...or the morgue.
My leg hurt like hell, but I could tell it wasn't broken. If anything, I was pissed 'cause it hurt! I was stumbling around the theater space just inside swearing and trying to walk it off, but at the same time my brain was telling me it was OK, I wasn't seriously hurt. I saw some red stuff on the ground and almost freaked, but I instantly realized it wasn't me...must've been from a performance the night before.
After a while the pain levelled off...I'd taken harder dings in football practice in high school. I didn't want to go to the hospital, but the fellas (who were pretty freaked) insisted I go. Aaron drove me up to Swedish, but there were 30 people in there, all looking completely miserable and I didn't want to spend 4 hours waiting from someone to tell me to go home, elevate my leg, take some aspirin and put ice on it. I had a date that evening! So we came back the the CHAC, I got on my bike and road home.
I changed into some shorts and saw my leg had swollen up so much that my leg felt more like wood than flesh. So I popped some aspirin and kept it elevated. I know the front of my leg is bruised but guess what? Can't see it. I hit the hot tub yesterday and worked it make sure I had full range of motion.
The swelling is already going down AND as of this morning, I can walk without limping. I definitely pulled some muscles and my shin is still tender but I'll probably be back to normal by the end of the week! Whew...
Tim and Aaron both called to check on me. The dent in the door of the van is pretty huge, I hear. Tim wants me to sign it! LOL
Even though I'm thanking my lucky stars...I'm also feeling about ten feet tall and bulletproof. Which leads the small but sensible voice (which sounds a lot like my mother) to admonish me: "Boooy, you better sit your black ass down, before something really bad happens!"

Aye, I agree...

No comments: