11.23.2003

I rode the bus for the first time in ages on Thursday. I overslept and called into work to tell them I was on my way. I got on my clothes and my thermal rainsuit, hopped on my bike and Yoiks! and away. About a mile from the house, it started hailing! I decided it wouldn't be worth the risk, especially if I had to face black ice in the morning, so I turned around and came home. Then I walked the half mile to the bus stop and caught the (infamous) number 7 to downtown.
There were only four of us onboard and poked my nose into my book. The driver called out street names and I thought about the thousands of times I'd made this trip since that first time riding the bus sans parents when I was around 10 or 11 years old. It was 12:30AM and the streets were empty.
Somewhere near the I-90 overpass this fella gets on. An older white dude. He sits up front and launches into conversation with the bus driver:

Man: Hallelujah! Man, that's how they sang it, y'know?
Driver: Uh, huh.
Man: It's like people today...they don't know...they don't understand! It's like Diana Ross and The Supremes when they did it!
Driver: Yeah.
Man: It's holy, It's holy, It's holy.

He then gets off at the next stop.

I got home from work, took the dog to the dog park and laid down for a nap. The plan was to go bowling. Around 6, I woke up feeling warm and rested, but then immediately, I started shivering, which didn't make sense, because I'm usually too warm under my thick, heavy comforter. I got up and put on a long sleeved shirt and kept shivering - violently. Needless to say, I didn't go anywhere this weekend, although I feel fine now. I have an extra-long weekend coming up, plus we're having Orphan's Thanksgiving here at SOUL HEAVEN on Friday. Better to be sick now than later!

No comments: