1.06.2004

I came home yesterday, after stopping for groceries. Made myself some dinner and then climbed into bed. I started rereading Gibson and Sterling's "The Difference Engine" because I was really disappointed by it when it came out years ago. Around 11, I slept. I woke up around 3PM. Cindy was watching TV and I chatted with her a bit. Then back to bed, this time I woke up at 11!!
I called into work to let them know I was going to be late and -- since it was dry out and it would've taken 45 minutes to get to work, I took my motorcycle. When I got in I found out it was supposed to snow!
Shit.
I decided to tough it out. I figured I'd take my chances getting home if the streets were clear at 6. Not a chance. There was no traffic overnight so 2nd Avenue had a nice blanket of snow on it when I checked at 2AM.
I decided to take the bus home and leave my bike downtown. I'd probably get a ticket (or towed) but it was better than dead or maimed. Oddly, the ride home was quite pleasent. I wore my thermal suit, so I wasn't the least bit cold and most of the buses had chains.
The snow is supposed to turn to rain overnight...hopefully, by tomorrow I'll be able to bring Betty home. I'd really hate to leave her a second night.

No comments: