7.06.2004

Never Long Enough...

Never Long Enough...

I climbed out of bed on Saturday morning and got my shite together, hopped on my bike and rode to the Coleman dock about 5 minutes before they started loading. Up front was me and a guy on an old-school (but immaculately-maintained) Honda Helix. The ride over was pleasant, the weather looked a little iffy but I settled in with the last few chapters of Quintus of Smyrna's telling of the War at Troy.
I stopped to get some gas on the way to Chad's and showed up about when I said I was gonna. We dinked around for awhile then he and his girlfriend Star and hopped on his '84 Nighthawk. I mounted my bike and we hit the road, heading north then west across Hood Canal.
Despite the overcast clouds the ride was a lot of fun, we passed through farmlands and a few small towns.
We were originally planning to the Quilcene loop but about a mile or two before the turn, it started to drizzle. And I was hungry. Chad pulled over and suggested we go to Port Townsend and get some grub. I agreed.
The skies cleared up somewhat as we rode north. Even with a light drizzle, I was wet to the knees and I had to ride with my visor open due to the exta moisture but it wasn't a problem. Port Townsend was packed full or tourists and bikers -- mostly older dudes on Harleys. We parked and started walking around, stopping in couple of gallery places and a toy store.
We found an excellent Thai restaurant and then got an ice cream cone. Pt. Townsend certainly has its charms, I look forward to returning soon!
We had to get back 'cause Star's babysitter needed relief, so we bailed for Bremerton. There were so many bikers out that Chad was constantly waving. The weather started to improve and I felt really confident at 70MPH. I wondered why it had taken so long to do this.
After we dropped Star off in Tacoma, Chad and I hung out and caught up with each other. Then we watched several episodes of FLCL (Foolikooli)until I finally racked out.
I got 10:30 or so and dinked around until noon then said bye to Chad and rode over to Patty's. She was making garlic/parmesan soup for the party at J.R.'s. Matt and his girlfriend were there and we hung out until Liz showed up and grabbed Matt (he was to help her cook) then the three of us went over after 2PM or so.
J.R. and Kim had recently terraced off their backyard, which overlooks the water to and offers an awesome view.
They'd set up a big tent for us to sit under and so we spent the day making huge drinks and smoking menthols.
J.R. had a handheld catapault and we test fired some rocks over in to the bay. Unfortunately for Jay, when it was his turn he somehow managed to hit himself in the leg with the rock, which required a four-hour wait at the hospital, a tetnus shot and 6 staples (dumbass!) Liz, Kim and Glenn went to hospital with him.
Meanwhile, the rest of us ate steak, chicken, potatosalad and home-made potato chips with mango salsa. Then we started lighting shit off. Rockets, mortars, ground flowers, snakes...J.R.'s neighbor came by and dropped him off a 6 foot long package of firecrackers, which we lit on Jay's return. We could also see the big fireworks display from Port Orchard -- in addition to everyone else's arsenal.
The moon didn't rise until pretty late, as Jay and I took off for home. I was a little weirded out about driving around at night (throught Tacoma, about 60 miles) but knowing Jay was keeping an eye out for me was cool and I was eager to sleep in my own bed. I got home around 1:30AM.
Yeaterday I went over to Stu's in time to see him put the last few bricks into his patio. Then we went out to Lake City to see Neil's new house as he waited for his new appliances to arrive. Rock Star Trish came by, she's going to record with The Lily's who are her favorite band. She's been playing gigs with them for several months now. I gave Neil a hard time about how being a homeowner was going to exponentially increase his sex appeal that he should build a sex dungeon...he wasn't havin' it, though.
Then, before I knew it I was back at work...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTY!

No comments: