10.04.2004

Well...

Well...

I'm back from the Men's Poker Retreat. I'll spare you all the gruesome details, but imagine 8 dudes in a cabin in the Okanogan National Forest. Bourbon, beer, tobacco, cards, cash, more food than a small grocery and conversations often punctuated by farts and burps and you get the idea.
Actually, the cabin was really cool. It had running water and gas powered stoves and a really cool solar panel set up (backed up by a generator) for electricity. The only thing I didn't like was the wasps and hornets that were EVERYWHERE - even inside the house! The first might we were there, we went outside in time to catch either wolves or coyotes howling at the moon.
Frito and I went fishing at Black Pine Lake for a few hours yesterday, the lake is nestled in some mountains and it was so clear you could see to the bottom. The fish mocked us by swimming up to the bait, but they wouldn't go for it. It was really peaceful and we just shot the shit, absorbed the heat of the day and watched the dragonflys strafing the lake.
We drove into Twisp and bought more (!) beer and Maker's Mark before heading back.
As for the poker, my game is improving rapidly. I didn't win any money, but I did finish 4th in the big game ($20 buy-in) and third in the small game the next day. I find it hard to keep focused on the game about an hour in. I actually went all-in on a lousy hand just to get out! I also need to learn how to convert the "majority hands" into wins.
I took lots of pictures, I hope to have some up soon...


No comments: