12.01.2004

Nothing Pithy Here...

Nothing Pithy Here...

I got up early to do a some shopping with Laura in anticipation of Orphan's Thanksgiving, the annual celebration where my "other" family gets together in appreciaton of each other. We met at her place of employment, then went to Costco and dropped a ton of money there but they didn't have the turkey Laura wanted, so we agreed to meet at Larry's Market in Lower Queen Anne.
We bought more stuff, I helped her load it in her car, then told her I'd see her at the house after I stopped to pick up some teriyaki in Fremont. Traffic was pretty normal for that time of day. I took Dexter into Fremont, crossed the bridge and then turned onto 34th. There was no traffic in front of me, though the lanes going the opposite way were full as per usual at this time of day. As I approached the entrance to the Adobe parking lot, I was anticipating my dinner and getting a few hours sleep before rolling into work.
Suddenly, there was a car in front of me.
I hit with a dull thud, I was thrown forward, then fell sideways the front wheel and fender bearing most of the impact. I was maybe going 25 or so. It happened so fast, nothing had time to register. I sat up and a group of people were asking me if I was alright. I had fallen to my left and my leg was trapped under the bike by my handlebars. My ankle got a tweak from the way I landed and the bike was pinching my leg.
I pulled my leg free and stood up, puzzled by what had just happened. I got my helmet off.
A bystander was already on the phone to the police by the time I stood up.
-Yeah, I'm fine. Nobody got hurt.
-OK, well in that case, we won't send an officer out, so just exchange information and call your insurance companies.
I handed the phone back and thanked the lady, she turned and was briskly on her way again.
A gentleman on a bike pulled up handed me his card and told me he'd be a witness if I needed one. He rode off again.
A guy in a trench coat stood nearby with a guilty look on his face. He introduced himself as the person who'd hit me. I was overwhelmed at the moment, feeling a growing elation at cheating death, weirded out by all the attention and surprised that I felt so calm. Traffic was beginning to back up because my bike lay in the street. I picked it up. The other driver and I decided to meet at the bottom of the ramp in the parking lot. I didn't try to start my bike, but rode in down the ramp anyway.
We exchanged information, neither of us sure of exactly what information we were suppose to exchange. My bike wouldn't start and neither of us had a pen. He went inside to find one, while I found a parking place for my bike.
Mr. Davis turned out to be a decent enough fellow, I think he was scared I was going to go ballistic, but I was so relieved at not being hurt, that I couldn't be mad. He even gave me a ride home. The whole thing seemed rather absurd. Two people who had no reason to interact at all intesecting due to a bad judgement call. I was just relieved that the judgement wasn't mine.
I didn't go into work that night...I wasn't sure of my emotional state. All could say for sure was that I was annoyed at being deprived of my bike. And a little afraid of how this would turn out. I was pretty sure that I was not liable for what happened, but that wasn't up to me.
My bike was towed up to a shop in Lynnwood the following day. I made a few calls and sent emails to my insurance company's claims adjuster and to his agent. The shop called and reeled off the list of damages, which added up to be a nice chunk of change. I wasn't going to pay a deductible...I hadn't done anything wrong.
I went to the company office party on Friday night with my buddy Jay. We had a pretty good time as the bar was serving Cosmopolitans and Apple Martinis. I got to chat with Matt F. and Kim and even a few coworkers I'd never met before.
I got home and found a message on my cell phone. I was going to be fully indemnified! WhooHoo!
Saturday was busy, cleaning, cooking and entertaining. I think this was one of the best Orphan's Thanksgiving's EVAR. The food was great and everyone hung out for awhile afterwards. I found out that a girl that Stu knew back when he was in elementary school was someone I'd met via another friend. I'd even gone to her wedding!
Sunday was pretty mellow. Laura and I got up kinda late and started cleaning up. Then I went to band practice and she went back to sleep. I took the bus to work.

No comments: