2.21.2005

Weekendage

Weekendage

Payday! Whoo! I went into the U-District, then Fremont to do a little shopping. Picked up CD's by Sounds from the Ground, Bugz in the Attic, U.N.K.L.E., The Ruby Doe and JFA Compilation #2. I wanted to some dub, but I'll go up to Zion's Gate for that.
I also stopped by a book store and picked up Robert Fagle's translation of The Odyessy. I'll be diving into that after I finish Stephen King's "Wolves of the Calla."
We met up at Lelanei Lanes, Stu, Rachel, Laura, Laura, Ji-Hyun and I for some a little friendly competition, drinkin' and karaoke. I won all three games, though Stu could rightfully despute the third game as the machines malfunctioned before his turn on the 10th frame.
He and I marked our continuing slide into Geezerdom when we reminisced about scoring games with paper and pencil, something Rachel (who is ten years to the day younger than me) doesn't remember.
We were watching a family in the lane next us bowling with the rails up.
"Back in my day, we didn't have rails." I quipped. "Fuck all this feel-good shit. If you couldn't keep the ball out of the gutter, you kept trying until you did!"
"That's right, even if it meant a whole row of goose eggs." Said Stu.
"Damn, straight. Failing builds character!"
After we finished our games we retired to the now crowded bar for beer, food and karaoke.
After perusing the song books, I couldn't find anything I was sufficiently motivated and/or drunk enough to want to sing. Though Ji-Hyun surprised us all with a pretty spirited version of Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head."
On Saturday, I cleaned a bit and tried setting up a music server in the den, but I'm having some network issues. Grrr. Lindsay's birthday was Sunday so I invited her up for dinner and to see The Ruby Doe, Big Business and those hoary godfathers of grunge, Mudhoney. I got her a book of Pablo Neruda's poetry. We went down to the Palace Kitchen in Belltown, I had the burger, she had the fish. Then we walked over to the Crocodile and got in line. Fortunately, I had the good sense to order tickets ahead of time. We got drinks and headed into the music room. The Ruby Doe came out and kicked ass with their loud punkish rock & roll. I really like them, no-frills, no gimmicks and no b.s. Their set seemed really short, however. I look forward to catching them as headliners. Big Business seemed to take forever to set up, but when they got going, jeezus...It was like the loudest, burliest, musical funny-car had been unleashed on the earth! I'm certain that reality had been warped just a bit. I had to shake my head a few times in order to come back down!
We only watched a couple of Mudhoney songs. I've never really dug the band, the last time I'd seen them live was in 1990, just as they were starting to get national recognition. I think they sound like a watered-down version of The Stooges. So we bailed.
On Sunday, Laura and I cleaned house, then we went up north to Lynnwood, stopping at Bent Bike, where she got a helmet and I bought some leather gloves. We stopped at a couple of Korean markets, then a bubble tea joint and then headed home. I was tired from sleeping on the couch the night before, so I took a nap...planning to meet up with Oani and some of her friends later and woke up at 4AM. Whoa.

2 comments:

lindstar said...

Thanks for letting me order the fish, I was tentative about ordering it until you offered to take me to IHOP instead. lol And it's like I said why kill your ear drums over a band that's just so-so? Pointless, next time remind me not to order Mack and Jack... the shit tasted like the ass of a regular beer, I don't even want to get into what the ass of that beer tasted like!

Oani said...

I wondered what happened to you.
Sounds like you needed your beauty sleep!

Take care hon, and let me know if you are free for dinner Tuesday night :)

xoxoxo