2.07.2005

Whoopie. I just looove me some frat boys!

Whoopie. I just looove me some frat boys!

I took Thursday night off 'cause Fey Ray was supposed to play Neumo's along with Waves (In which our friend Mary is a member. She helped record and mix our album), those mavens of buzzy, shoegazey goodness, Black Nite Crash and new neo-post-punkers and new Seattle "it" band (managed my lovely Maria), Razrez. But, as the fates would have it, Matt got sick and we had to cancel.
Seth and I went to the gig anyway and I must say our replacement, Martian Letters to God was really good! They reminded me of Adorable, but poppier and with better songs! They played a really strong set, which had me and Seth chomping at the bit to rock! Ah well, I guess we'll just have to wait until the 17th. We have some new tunes that we're banging into shape, so hopefully we can debut them at The Central Saloon.
BNC played a really good LOUD set, they have the Jesus and Mary Chain sound down. I like their stuff, I just wish they'd take it further like the amazing Voyager One does. As for Razrez, they reminded me of the Dandy Warhols. Not so much in the way they sound, but for the "WE ARE ROCK STARS" way they carried themselves, both off and onstage. The songs were well played and tight, but didn't really do anything for me. Seth bailed after two songs. I stayed for six, but then I noticed it was drizzling out and thought I should mosey before it turned to rain. Fortunately, it stopped right after I got outside!
On Friday, Laura, Stu, Sarah, Rachel, Scott and I got together downdown and had dinner at P.F. Chang's, then walked over to The Cinerama to catch House of Flying Daggers. The short verdict? I liked Hero WAY better. Hero had a better story and much better fights. HoFD was kind of a rather weak love story that happened to have some martial arts stuff in it. Rachel wanted more "ass-kicking" too!
Afterward, we trooped into Oliver's 'cause Cindy was working and had a couple of drinks, then we headed home.
Laura and I did some shopping on Saturday. First we whipped up and down Broadway, checking out all the shops and a New Age bookstore L. wanted to see. I bought Stephen King's "Wolves of the Calla" in paperback and some incense at the little hippie store up the block.
We went to Uwajimaya and bought groceries, dodging people and carts the whole time...it was so freaking crowded! Then we went downtown and into Sephora, where I pretended to be interested in shaving cream while I checked out all the hot wimmens as they checked out the makeup. Then we stopped at Westlake Mall where I got the new Low album "The Great Destroyer" and treated Laura to the fine cuisine at Hot Dog on a Stick!
Later that evening I went on a date, we had dinner at the Alibi Room, then we went to meet her friends at the Fenix Underground, 'cause it was her friend's birthday. It was also Mardi Gras.
Whoopie. I just looove me some frat boys! So we walked from the Market down to Pioneer Square, noting the heavy police prescence and all the drunk youngsters running around. Before we got to the bar, I did see a real Indian Chief!! Badass...I wish I could own one!
Anyway, we got inside and got drinks and had lit up a couple of cigs, only to be pleasantly interrupted by a magician. He spent about 15 minutes showing us some tricks then took off. Then sometime after, Katie's friends showed up. They were both really nice and we chatted about music and stuff when they weren't out on the dance floor being attacked by the local version of the Roxbury Guys.
Katie and I sat talking, the music really sucked, the DJ was basically playing the "Up All Night" collection and upstairs there was only alternative was the "rockin'" tones of uber cover band, The Retros. So about 12:30 or so, we called it a night. I got a lift back to my motorcycle and enjoyed tha brief, cold ride home.
Sunday was for laying about. Yeah, the SuperBowl was on and I wanted Philadelphia to win, but I just couldn't make myself give a fuck - the hype to substance balance is way out of whack there...I mean really, the most you can honestly hope for is a good game. But after watching McNabb throw an almost interception and then an acutal interception a few plays later, that was enough. Instead, I read about the great Ossie Davis' passing and wondered what he really meant to me. I was somewhat disappointed that whatever thread there was so thin as to be only atoms thick. I started The Wolves of Calla and since had been raining all day, resolved to take the bus to work. The Tet holiday and Chinese New Year is this week, so it'll probably be pretty slow at work. I think of Dan Rather and say to myself, "Courage."

No comments: