4.14.2005

Wotcher Readin' Fer?

Wotcher Readin' Fer?

Matt passed me the stick and since I never pass up a chance to act the pretentious git, here goes:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

*In case you don't know, Fahrenheit 451 (1953) is a dystopian fiction novel by Ray Bradbury. In it, fireman don't put out fires, they start them to burn books. The idea is that you must rush to memorize a book (or a few) to preserve them. (thanks Leslie!)

I'm a lazy bastard, so it would have to short...and weird. Nicholson Baker's
Vox, or The Fermata would fit the bill nicely!

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
In a book? I don't think so. Maybe Molly Millions from William Gibson's
Neuromancer?
However, I do remember with devestating clarity the day Jean Grey (AKA Phoenix) from the X-Men died - I must have been 13-14. I think that was my first really crushing loss.

I'm such a nerd...

The last book you bought is?
Homer's
The Odyssey, trans. Robert Fagles.

What are you currently reading?
My work is taking all my focus right now and I can't concentrate on anything for very long. I've been bouncing back and forth between The Odyssey, and the good Doctor's
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which, I am convinced is nothing but a huge put-on).

Five books you would take to a deserted island?
The Lords of Discipline - Pat Conroy
A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
The Sadness of Sex - Barry Yourgrau
Sunglasses After Dark - Nancy A. Collins
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut


Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Frito, our tastes in lit are similar -- and different. George, 'cause he always makes me go, "Dammit! Why didn't I think of that?" and Michelle because she's in school and allays into that big-brained stuff about art n culture n shit.

2 comments:

M. Duss said...

I'm with you on Molly Millions. Cyborg chicks are hot.

Anonymous said...

from frito - I have no account to log in and publish...


You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

I am thinking I get to pick a book to be burned, right? Or am I to pick a book to memorize? Well, I answer both...

Book to be burned (what year did this come out out? 50's? So I can't pick anything after that, right? since I'm stuck in the book, nothing exists after 1953 or whenever):
Dante's Inferno - not only is it fitting, but that booked really freaked me out. I loved it.

A book I would try to memorize:
Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde. I haven't even finished reading it yet, but man!


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Not that I can recall.

The last book you bought is?
Half Asleep in Green Pajamas - Tom Robbins
hadn't read any tom robbins in a long time and this one was great.

What are you currently reading?
Hitler: 1889-1936 Hubris - Ian Kershaw
Super System - Doyle Brunson and others
Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

<>Five books you would take to a deserted island?
The Inferno
High Fidelity
Skinny Legs and All
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
????