9.09.2005

Spider-BASTARDS!

Spider-BASTARDS!

I used to have a pretty progressive policy on spiders.
I couldn't help it. As a kid, didn't you cry at the end of "Charlotte's Web?" Spiders are beneficial creatures due to their mad insect-catching skills (even though they are so freakin' creepy). I bragged of my benevolence to all that would hear. I remember living in a studio apartment on First Hill years ago; hearing the pitter-patter of (really) tiny feet and watching (with an odd mixture of awe and horror) this really huge fella hauling ass across my kitchen floor. I decided to give it the bum's rush, rather than slaughter it outright -- didn't want my flesh to crawl from the snap, crackle of its exoskeleton...brrr! Encounters after that were usually marked by me showing the wee beasties the door...literally.

I don't recall ever being bitten by spider...until I moved in with Frito a great while later. I mind finding a bump on my inner arm, just a bit above my elbow. It didn't hurt but it itched a bit...way milder than a mosquito bite. I looked closer...there were two holes there.
EW!!
Another time I found a spider bite on my ear.
And then I got bit on my face.

ON MY FRIGGIN FACE!!

I changed my policy on the bastards sometime after that. Do unto others, I say -- and I got done unto first. I still don't smash them, but they get sent down the toliet!
We had a shit-ton of the little (heh) buggers around the house this spring and summer. You had to be careful when going out the back door because there would be a huge web with some big bastard sitting innit like (s)he owned the joint.
The last time that happened, I got out my empty pellet gun and pumped it up 6-7 times, pointed it at the wide-o, and fired. The spider flew across the yard, landing I know not where. But it didn't come back! So, I'd found my new favorite method of getting rid of them.

I haven't been bitten this year...go figure.

1 comment:

fat_girl said...

I got lots of spiders at my house too. They're agressive, if you go to step on them they run at you.

May be an old wives tale but, if you break their web a few times they won't make them in the same spot anymore.

happy shooting, r