11.27.2005

...Even Rode My Motorcycle In The Rain

...Even Rode My Motorcycle In The Rain

Mercy! invited me to a housewarming party last night and much to her surprise, I went. Her kinda sorta ex Sailboat Guy was there too. Our hostess is a friend of my swim-buddy Jay and she and I had met a few years ago, although the exact circumstances are somewhat murky to us both.
It was cloudy and cold on the ride over, I'd chosen my half helmet and vented leather jacket to ride in. Nuts, I know -- but for some reason, the cold air was invigorating. Plus, I'd worn bulky rain gear over the last couple of days so I was glad not to have to suit up.
The house was on a quiet street in Ballard and it was freakin' huge! It was all hardwood floors and hip and tasteful colors, right out of the Pottery Barn catalog.
I came in removed my shoes (most everyone had) and hung out with Mercy and Sailboat Guy. He and I were punning like crazy and gently teasing Mercy as only two men who have dated the same woman can. We weren't mean or anything, but it was fun watching her get flustered as he and I played off each other.
Our hostess was a lot of fun, especially after a bunch of us went downstairs to play Asshole.
She was president for most of the game and man, could she talk trash!
Laurie B. came in and we had a good chat. I don't see her much, even though we kind of run in the same circles. She's changed in a lot of ways...and it's really cool that we had some things to talk about.
I don't know if it was the vodka or the company, but next thing I knew it was after 2AM. I was sure I was sober and geared up only to find out it was raining out. I thought of something Jay had quoted to me earlier in the week from the Hagakure:

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking.

And by the time I was almost home even though I was soaked to the knees, I felt really serene.

No comments: