12.11.2005

Sunday Again

Sunday Again

The Cretins MC party was a hoot! I'd taken a nap and really had to talk myself into suiting up for the ride to SODO. My bike was covered with a light layer of frost. My roommate Jason came home as I was cleaning it off and chuckled at my foolhardyness but honestly, I seem to have resigned myself to being cold so I didn't think it was that big a deal.
The clubhouse was full of bikes when I arrived, mostly streetfighter/standards and cafe racers. The Mosquito Fleet was there and as were The Pleasure Barons MC.
There were huge heaters set up in the larger rooms in the clubhouse and a knot of people stood around them, trying to keep warm. I ran into Smokey as I was talking to a fella I'd met at The Viking a few weeks ago. He told me to go in and grab a beer, 'cause they were going to start the races outside in a few minutes. It took me about 10 minutes to get through the crush of bodies to the bar. The place was packed, but everyone was friendly and having a good time. I got back out to the street in time to see the races. Bascially, there were a couple of rolling chassis that the contestants were required to push backwards down the street. There were a few spills as the racers lost control, but it was all in fun and nobody got hurt. They had a bunch of kids bikes that they raced too.
I went back into the clubhouse and struck up a coversation with a fella named John, who recently moved out here from Denver. He'd caged it that night, but he told me he had a Triumph. We talked bikes for awhile and when I went inside to get another beer, I was waylaid by a nice young lady who gave me a back massage! I complimented on her skills (assuming she was a massage student getting her practice hours in) and she said, "Well, that's why they call me 'Backhoe!'" Alrighty then.
I got phone calls from Amber, who came down and hung out for awhile and from Frito, who was drunk off his ass at the SeaCompression Party at ConWorks. He was pissed 'cause he lost his rather expensive camera which he'd brought along while participating in the local Santarchy earlier in the day.
Amber and I chatted with a guy from Oak Harbor, who'd ridden down on a Bonneville. He was pretty wasted but proud of himself, which I don't blame him for -- Whidbey Island to Seattle in 40 degree temperatures is pretty hardcore. Especially on a bike with no windshield!! Amber remarked that she thought he was pretty hot, "For a white guy." So she gave him her card and took off.
I wandered around just shooting the shit...everyone was so cool that it was really easy and I didn't retreat into my shell, which I sometimes do when confronted with a roomful of people I don't know. Smokey came by and started rockin' the decks playing everything from cheesy 80's metal and punk to 50's & 60's garage rock, soul and stripper music. The movie The Leather Boys played on continuous loop on the DVD over the bar (which was interesting because I'd just recently taken an interest in cafe racers and the whole early 60's British biker scene. The Ace Cafe which reopened in the 90's is featured in the movie.) I spent the rest of the night dancing with a bunch of girls and sobering up. It was 4AM when I left.
It was foggy as hell on the way home, but the streets were deserted and I made it home without incident.

Pho and aspirin cured my hangover.

No comments: