4.16.2006

Recap

Recap

The Elbow show on Tuesday was simply amazing! Guy Garvey seemed to be recovering from a cold (or perhaps fighting off one) 'cause he had trouble hitting a few notes, but his humor and showmanship (not to mention DAMN fine tunes) carried the day. There was much love from the packed house too.
Elbow and Coldplay are often linked in the music press, but I find that it's a VERY poor comparison. IMHO, the only band that seems to be anywhere close to them for mood/atmospherics and groove is the band Doves, who are actually good friends of theirs. I really liked Coldplay's first album, but they seem to be content writing rather lightweight (but deep-sounding) pop tunes, while Elbow is working on a whole different level. The show was a somewhat different experience than the records, 'cause the gorgeous backing vocals were missing, but even so "Fugitive Motel", "Switching Off" and "Powder Blue" gave me goosebumps.
They played a couple of songs I hadn't heard before, both badass...!
Patty, Angela, Laquita, Rachel, Stu and Tess were all present and we ran into Jason J. after the show.

I had plans to meet Jay down at The ZigZag Cafe on Friday. I decided to widen out the plans and invite more folks, so I sent out some emails. Then I heard from Rachel that El Stu had been (rather uncerimoniously, IMHO) laid off from his job - 13 years of service!


So then it turned into a party! Stu was pretty smashed by the time Jay and I got there.
Tracy came down and met my friends. Scott, Sarah, Renee, Oani, Tess and Shawn were all there.
Afterwards, some of us went up to The Alibi Room and continued drinking. There was a going-away party for a local DJ going on downstairs, so AC and Jason J. were in the house. I saw Plastiq Phantom and Michiko from IQU too!


The next night, Tracy and I went down to The Baltic Room to catch the inaugural of SAFARI, a new SunTzu night. Veteran Techno DJ/Composer John Beltram was in the house. Dan The Man showed up with a bunch of people I hadn't seen in yonks and Tracy and I danced together for the first time!

It is very gratifying to have your friends come up to you and tell you that your girlfriend is really cool...

2 comments:

ELVIS IS MY MOTHER said...

Hello Buster - I think you might like a movie by the name of The Butcher Boy. Be good.

Coxon said...

Hi there. I saw in someplace (i don't remember where) that you have a copy of the OST of the movie "Linda Linda Linda". I wanted to know if it is possible that you send me the songs in MP3.

If you can, write me to neotokio3@yahoo.com

Thanks