7.27.2006

Chad and Ylana's Wedding

Chad and Ylana's Wedding.


It was really nice.
They were crackin' me up though. I kept saying, "This is the slackest wedding evar!"

I'd been pestering Chad for weeks. "Dood, what do you need? Where do I need to be?? When???"
And he'd get this sheepish grin and give me a really vague answer.

So a couple of weeks ago, he emails me and asks what shirt size I wear. I assume we're dressing up so I give him neck size, sleeve length, etc. Then he writes me back and says that he meant like L, XL, XXL. Turns out we're wearing Cuban-style shirts and black slacks.

So I go over there for dinner (there was no rehearsal) on Saturday and we're asking Chad what time he wants us at the park. He's like, "I'll be there at noon...but I dunno about you guys."
So we ask Ylana and she's no better. So Dave suggested 2:30.

We get there and spend the next few hours standing around as the guests arrive...it was held outside at the State Park in Pt. Gamble. Quite lovely, actually. It was a semi-traditonal Jewish wedding (Chad's not Jewish, and I don't think Ylana practices) We didn't figure out what we were supposed to do until shortly before we did it...
Chad was pretty nervous, but greeting everyone and talking to all the relatives kept him pretty distracted.

The ceremony itself was simple and really sweet. They brought a cloth (made by Y's grandmother) suspended by four poles, each held by a friend or family member. The cloth was to resemble the home they were making for each other. Chad waited for Y there and she walked out by herself. The look she had on her face was indescribable...a mixture of joy, fear, love.

Anyway, they had a local musician officiate and a family member from Y's side blessed some wine and they drank it. Then the official did his thing, soliciting a verbal promise from all of us to support the union. Then Y's father (a really sweet, intense fella) gave a short speech about how marriage meant the couple was holy to one another...that the holiness of things is like the Dao, it's what makes a melody more than a sequence of notes, or a home more than four walls and a roof.

Then Chad and Ylana had to give an impromptu speech about what they meant to each other. Chad had been fretting about it and I couldn't hear everything he said, but Ylana looked like she was going to burst from pure joy. She stammered a bit when her turn came, but she told him she'd always be there for him and that she'd be his home.

Then they did seven blessings, each from friends and family members. Had more wine, kissed, then stomped on a glass...and that was it!

The food was excellent...but I had to leave a bit early 'cause I wanted to get home before it got super late.
As it was, I got home around midnight.

Pics are up on my Flickr page.

2 comments:

ritualdevice said...

It was the bestest wedding ever! I'm glad everything turned out ok. And it felt 180 degrees different than when I got married back when I was 22. That wedding felt like a funeral. This one was indescribably better and way more joyous. I guess that's probably because I'm in love with this girl. Glad you were there to be a part of it man!

Miss Oani said...

Thank you so much for posting this!

Many happy wishes to Chad and Ylana.

It is so great to see him happy and she looks stunning.